Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Vegan Paleo Challenge - Recipes Included

On the outside looking in, it could appear as if I have an attention span disorder when it comes to food. It's possible. Constantly, seeking out information about food and nutrition - GUILTY.

As I posted previously, I did investigate and try out the Engine 2 Diet for 28 days, well with several cheat meals. I will still be posting some of the tried recipes and costs in future.  I loved all the recipes that I tried and will still use some of them. It did widened my perspective on reading food labels. I didn't realize that so many foods have added oils. For instance, a bag of just plain ol' soy nuts - added oil. WHY? Well, my theory with added oil, salt, and sugar is it is cheap but it also keeps you coming back for another bag - PROFIT. That is the great thing about whole foods like broccoli, the ingredients? Broccoli.

My diet had taken a change of course for the time being.  My husband and I joined a CrossFit gym about a month ago. Our gym started a strict Paleo Challenge May 1st for 30 days and we couldn't resist! Fellow vegans may immediately scratch their heads. The Paleo-Diet, also referred to as the Cave-Man Diet, prescribes meat. However, I agree with most of the nutrition: VEGETABLES, healthy fats, seeds, nuts, some fruit, and no sugar. In case you didn't know, being vegan and living without grains and beans may be an epic feat - but I am up for the challenge. Most importantly, I want to notice. Notice, my thoughts around not having those foods, notice my energy level, notice any differences in my composition or functioning, etc.  And we'll see if it will be a lifestyle change.

Of course, in my research for ideas on foods, recipes, and inspiration, I have found that other vegans are attempting this lifestyle as well. However, many are still incorporating some soy and grains. Why? It seems to be for the protein. Which I find very interesting. As a vegan have we not changed our own thinking around the protein issue? Do we need grains and soy for protein? I don't think so. I am tracking what I eat daily on LIVESTRONG. It's not necessary for the challenge or for the Paleo Diet. However, I was curious. Curious, to how much fat, protein, carbs, and sugars I am taking in on the challenge. Everyday for the last 8 days I have exceeded my daily recommended protein amount - just like every other American. Even without meat, soy, legumes, or grains. 

As I continue to take on this challenge, per request, I will post recipes and the approximate nutritional information according to LIVESTRONG - for the purposes of the grams of protein.

Coconut Lime Curried Vegetables and Creamy Garlic & Chive Mashed Cauliflower

Approximate Nutritional Information per Serving: 

Calories 246.79   Fat 11.89   Protein 16.21

Serves 2  

Creamy Garlic & Chive Mashed Cauliflower
1/2  Head Large Cauliflower, Steamed
 4-6  oz of Vegetable Broth,
 Low Sodium (adjust amount for  desired thickness)
 1 Clove of Garlic, Chopped
 2 TBS of Chives
 2 TBS of Nutritional Yeast
 Salt and Pepper to Taste 

Puree Cauliflower, Vegetable Broth,   and Garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour into bowl and add Chives and Nutritional Yeast. 

Coconut Lime Curried Vegetables
 
 1  Head of Broccoli
 8  oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced   
 1 Red Pepper, Cut in Chunks
 1 Cup of Vegetable Broth,
  Low Sodium add 1/3 cup of  the
 1/3 of Dulse
 1/3 of Coconut Milk
 1/2 TBS of Curry Powder
 1 oz of Sliced Almonds
 1 Tsp of Lime Zest

Saute Vegetables with 1/3 cup of Vegetable Broth. Add 1/3 cup of Vegetable Broth, Dulse, Lime Zest, and Coconut Milk - let simmer for 5-7  minutes. Garnish with Almonds.




5 comments:

  1. Super cool blog!

    I've been trying what I'm calling "paleo+" for a few months now, and it's been working well. The "+" stands for tofu--I just love the stuff. I've stopped all the other beans and grains. Eliminating those has really helped my digestive system and my energy levels!

    Maybe you'll inspire me to nix the tofu too...but it's just so good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is good to be up and running :) I understand, your love for Tofu. I have a similar love for beans. And it definitely has improved my digestive system not to be eating beans and grains, thus far. I am still investigating my energy levels. It is hard to say 8 days into it and adapting to the dietary changes - but so far I can't report an improved energy level. We'll see how this week goes...

      Delete
  2. ...and boy is this food really good...the Farmista makes eating Vegan easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found your blog! I am a vegan cross fitter too, and started my paleo challenge today! What a small world. I will try the califlower recipe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I am sorry I am just now seeing your comment. How did you Challenge go? Did you try/like the cauliflower recipe?

      Delete